Monday 8 June 2015

We caught up with Councillor Derek Eastman this month

Newport Pagnell Councillor Corner

Get running - The MK Marathon is just one of the events Councillor Derek Eastman attended. 

The elections are over, the summer is coming and all is cosy in the garden – or is it. As I put pen to paper it is pouring with rain and I have only just caught up with the sleep I lost over polling day and the count. The new Council year is about to start and no doubt further Government cuts means another mean year to come. It was good to see residents voicing their concerns at last year’s budget setting and I hope we see a new era in local politics with residents continuing to effectively participate in issues that affect them. 

Thank you to all who voted 

As with all things that change, every ward in MK now has elections for MK Councillors for 3 years out of 4. On the 7th May it was my turn to stand in the MK local elections for Newport Pagnell South Ward and on the 8th May the count took place. The Liberal Democrats have represented Newport Pagnell South, Blakelands, Giffard Park and part of Great Linford for over 30 years and I am grateful for the support that I received. With a majority of 390 over the 2nd placed candidate and I was elected to serve for another 4 years. I will always continue to represent the residents of Newport Pagnell South Ward to the best of my ability.

Council results across MK

Across Milton Keynes the last minute swing to the Conservatives nationally rolled down to the local elections and the Conservatives gained four seats. However, Labour remains the largest party by only one seat and are expected to continue to run the Council as a minority administration. The Liberal Democrats entered the election with 12 seats, gained one seat, lost one seat and remained with 12 councillors. The make-up of the Council after the elections is as follows:-

Labour 23 (-2)
Conservatives 22 (+4)
Liberal Democrats 12 (-)
UKIP 0 (-1)
Vacant 0 (-1)

My term as Mayor 

Quite unexpectedly, on the 10th September 2014, I found myself elected as Mayor of Milton Keynes. This was both an honour and a privilege and I had no real idea of what to expect. However, although the role seemed daunting it proved to be exciting, challenging, rewarding and exhausting. 
I have been asked what my favourite event was and it is impossible to pick a single event. There have, however, been highlights. MK is truly a sporting city. I was there when the Dons achieved promotion to the Championship and I was asked to present the league 1 runners up cup to Dean Lewington. The Saints v Saracens rugby match was superb and a good trial for the arrangements for the World Cup later this year. I was asked to start the MK Marathon, which had attracted over 5000 competitors. I have been to many sporting events. I even took part in a Tai Chi session. 
MK also attracts high level business and I have opened new HQs and business centres for major organisations. Christmas and other parties for both children, families, and the elderly were fun and visits to local voluntary organisations AGMs were an experience. I also met with many local communities from, for example, Ghana, Ireland, Greece, India, Somaliland and Tibet. 
I was also invited to the 65th wedding anniversary of Mr and Mrs Brown who hailed from Jamaica. In fact I have been invited to over 400 events. But one thing I did note is that Milton Keynes has a beating heart of generosity revealed by the many who go out of their way to raise money and the many who willingly donate. I will never forget my term as Mayor.

Follow me online: derekeastman.mycouncillor.org.uk or on facebook at Cllr Derek Eastman. If you need to contact any of the Newport Focus Team,  e-mail NewportSouth@mklibdems.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment